To a better me

My experiences trying to loose some weight and get back into shape. Welcome to my self-improvement journey.

Friday, September 05, 2008

I hate wagons

I've come to realize that one of my biggest problems is motivation, and my brain. We'll say my brain in a very general manner. I'm not organized in my day to day life, when I have a work project that is fairly well defined with boundaries, I'm very motivated and focused, but take away that pressure and i fall apart, and start to procrastinate. I let things slip, and then, it too far gone to regain the momentum that I had. Once this happens it's too easy to continue letting it slip until any progress that I'd made is lost.

This is true of most facets of my life, from keeping up on my finances, to sticking to my workout plan, and proper use of my free time.

This past year was particularly bad, in the I went into a depression/anxiety, and also had surgery. When the anxiety hit, I was unable to think clearly, couldn't eat and couldn't function properly. This was pretty scary for me, since I'm used to being in control, even if the control that I have is to decide to do nothing. I did go see my doctor to get some help, and in doing so, I realized a few things:

1. there is only so much stress you can deal with;
2. you need healthy outlets;
3. I need to work smarter.

Now in June I also had surgery, while it wasn't major, it was needed, so that I could stay in my current position, as I had compartment syndrome, which isn't fun at all and is often mistaken for shin splints.

Now the anxiety hit me so hard, because I wasn't sleeping, and that will make your stress levels go up even if you have nothing to be stressed about. So I got some exercises that for me helped a very little bit, but enough to allow me to function and stay sane. But now, over the past few weeks I've been looking into ways to keep myself more organized, and in my search I've finally started to look into that GTD (Getting Things Done by David Allen) stuff I've been hearing about for ages. This system makes sense to me, off load from your brain everything, dump it into a system so that you can deal with it effectively. It's got steps, and processes, tips and tricks, and most of all flexibility, all things that resonate well with my inner geek.... and to a degree my outer geek. So now, I've listen to some of the material, started reading teh book, and starting to put this stuff into practice, I have a good feeling about this.

So now I'm going to not only be writing about my physical well being, but also my mind in this blog. I'll be setting out some new goals, and starting the process to improving myself in all aspects.

So where's the wagon, i need to get back on.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home